(I absolutely love this place. I highly recommend it)
But I didn't live in your standard student housing. I lived in a little old (and I mean old, like think pioneers settling Ephraim) house that one of my roommates parents owned. It was full of little eccentricities, most of which I found endearing or fun. But when I returned after the summer to start my sophomore year, I got a surprise that I never anticipated.
(This is it. The Allred House. So many fun times.)
(This is not a picture of my actual bat, but I assure you it was equally disgusting. Also, I am not sure why someone is being stupid enough to hold that thing with bare hands. They really do carry diseases like rabies.)
It got to be late, so I bedded down for my first night alone in the house (which I think is creepy anyway). And as I lay in my bed, I hear a strange noise. Then as my eyes adjusted, I spotted something flying around. I knew immediately that one of my winged friends had decided to be my roomate. I was beyond petrified. I didn't even dare get out of my bed to leave, plus, I had no where I could have gone anyway. So, I bravely ;) pulled the covers over my head (which for a closraphobic person is not exactly a picnic). And somehow, I survived the night, though I don't think I did much sleeping.
(I was like this, only more scared and had the covers all the way over my head.)
We all decided to celebrate that night by having a girls night, and watching a scary movie (what were we thinking?). One of the girls asked me for something so I went upstairs to my room and got the bag of stuff she wanted. We began our movie and assumed the typical stupid teenage girl scary movie watching positions. We were about half way through our movie when all of the sudden one of the girls starts beating the girl next to her with a pillow. There was screaming and confusion. But eventually we figured out what happened.
(typical scared girl movie watching positions)
One of our little winged "friends" (wich was probably hiding in the bad I got from my room, YUCK) had decided the brim of Joannes baseball hat was the perfect play to hang from. She was so scared she couldn't do anything except poke Crystal sitting next to her, who, ever so intelligently started freaking out and beating her with a pillow. So we managed to turn on the lights amidst all the screaming and flailing and such. We spotted the bat and managed to chase it into a small bedroom. We then called Brittany's Dad (who owned the house). He came over, walked into the room, and squashed that bat with his big booted foot. And then, the bat was no more.
(This is Joanne. You should feel bad for her because she is the one who's hat the bat hung on. Poor Joanne.)
The Hallelujah chorus began playing in my head. It was as if I were Xena warrior princess and I had whooped some amazon bad guy butt. My apprehension never disappeared completely. I never saw any more bats (aka flying creatures of doom). But there was always this fear in the back of my mind that some day, some time, somewhere, another one would appear and come to take it's vengeance on me for it's squashed brother. And to this day, I still can't stand Bats.
Also, I am pretty sure that had I been lucky enough to catch the whole thing on video, I could be a millionaire, or at least famous :) I hope you all have a happy, bat free, Halloween!










5 comments:
AHHH!!! So gross.
You are a great story teller. :D
Don't forget that it was the most climatic moment of the movie as well - so much screaming with a room full of what 8-10 girls. Ugh...!!!!!!!
AHHH! I love this story! (not that I love that you had to live it though) So funny! We had a bat outside of our door in the stairwell in Aggie Village once. It trapped me inside and Rusty outside until Animal control could come and take care of it. Stupid yucky bats!
Heather I love this story. I wonder if there was a bat infestation our 2nd year, because we had them too! They lived in our attic and would come out the same time every night in a big bunch and swoop at unsuspecting passers by. I think us girls only got attacked once or twice before we learned what time of day was dangerous to be outside. But it always happened to the boys next door when they were walking to our house for FHE. (That was pretty funny to watch since they were all football players).
I never knew that story. Sad and creepy and awful. But you crack me up!
Post a Comment