Thursday, May 12, 2011

love and acceptance of myself

So guess what? I am not perfect. I have known this for a long time. But I don't think I have ever fully accepted what this means. It means that my house will never look like a picture from a magazine. My body will never look like a swimsuit models, or heck, probably not even as good as most real people I know look in a swimsuit. No matter how good an idea I have, and no matter how carefully I plan, something will still always go wrong. No matter how wonderful my husband is, he will never be perfect either (and it's a good thing since I couldn't live up to that).

None of this is a newsflash to me.
But I am trying something new.
My new mantra (or however you spell it)
2 little magic words that have the power to change my life.
IT'S OK.

They are not intended as an excuse or a cop out. But as a reminder that even though things aren't going the way I want, I won't be judged by that single moment for the rest of my life. I want to take all that time spent worrying (which probably adds up to something like 5 years for me) and use it to find joy. I don't need to wait for someone else to tell me that it's ok that my house is messy, or that I haven't done my hair for the day, or that I spent an afternoon completely enjoying my tiny girl instead of doing laundry and alphabetizing my canned goods :)

I have the power to help myself be happy.
I am not behind.
Life is not a competition to see who is the most organized and pretty.
I can be happy for other people's accomplishments without getting down on myself.

And when moments of perfection come along, because sometimes they do, I can enjoy them knowing that even when that moment ends, I can still be happy.

I refuse to believe the lie that there are perfect people with perfect lives. It's just not true. Everything in life has a cost, and creating the illusion of perfection comes with a pretty hefty price-tag.

My mother would be pretty angry with me for treating her little girl so badly for so long. And I know she would tell me just what I need to hear so much of the time, It's ok.

So here's to breathing deeply, loving myself, and remembering It's ok :)

5 comments:

Bethany said...

I love this, it is good that you are loving yourself, imprefections and all. Every bit of it adds up to the wonderfulness that is Heather. And heaven knows that I love your stinkin' guts!!!

Sarah said...

It is OK! And things are great when you realize that it IS OK! :)

Heather said...

I agree with Sarah's comment! Things ARE great when you realize it's ok and that you don't have to be perfect, but just enjoy life as it comes!

Rachel said...

No matter who you are and what you look like, life just stinks at times. Everyone's lives always look rosier on the outside. This was a great post!!! :) You rock!

Jason & Naomi said...

I'm a bit late in reading your blog but I always so enjoy it when I do. You have a way of being able to put all of our, stay-at-home-moms', thoughts into words. Thank you for being so real and for reminding us all that it's okay to say "It's OK"!