Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memory

So today is Memorial day. A day that means many different things to many different people. It is a day to show appreciation to those who have given their lives for us and our country. It's a day to spend with family and loved ones. It's a day that marks the beginning of summer (what an appropriate day to wake up to snow right?). My husband's family spends at least part of the day at the cemetery decorating the graves of ancestors and loved ones. They take it very seriously.

If I were in close enough proximity, there is a cemetery I would like to spend some time in. I would make my mothers grave the most beautiful one in the Ashton Idaho cemetery. But since I can't, I am going to honor her memory right here.

This is my mother

She made life magical.

She made the most amazing poppyseed and banana bread and rolls and sugar cookies.

She loved to play the piano, and was very good at it.

She was a nurse, and she very good at that too.

Those who knew her couldn't help but love her.

Her smile and laugh were so contagious.

She loved babies. She made sure I had a baby doll for every Christmas and she loved being a nurse in the newborn nursery and squeezing all those precious newborn babies.

She loved reading and writing.

She always wrote a poem for our family Christmas card.

She loved her hometown of Ashton Idaho. She really wished that we could have lived there.

She liked doing crafty things.

She was really good at tole painting and cross stitching .

She also liked to crochet and sew.

When I was little she would make my sister and I matching Easter dresses.

She made life fun and exciting.

She would leave secret love notes, or put a card in your lunch, or bring home a little surprise just because.

I always wanted to be with her.










I still love you mom. And I miss you more than words can even describe. I hope I'm making you proud. I hope that I'm like you. I hope that my kids will think that I am as amazing and wonderful as I think you are.

Love you forever Mom.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

That was such a sweet tribute! She sounds like an amazing lady, a woman to definitely pattern your life after. :)

5moonbeams4us said...

She was a wonderful woman and I think you are VERY much like her! I did take her some daises and roses today for you :)

Unknown said...

Your mother sounds so wonderful! And what a tribute to see just how wonderful she was by seeing how amazing her daughter is! Thanks for letting us all get to know you both!

Lunch and Learn LaLa said...

That was so beautiful Heather, thank you! You're just like her in every way. A very special family! Love you!

Shalyce and Jordan said...

What a nice post Heather. I wish I could've met your sweet Mom. But from what I've heard about her, you are just like her. Beautiful in every way. Love you!

Stephanie Hyde said...

I love all the pictures you chose. Those are so wonderful!