Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Being a Housewife

I find myself feeling so inadequate much of the time. No matter how hard I try to keep up with life's daily chores, I never quite succeed. I feel like so many of the people I know must be better mothers and wives than I am because I never see their sinks full of dishes or overflowing garbage cans, or mountains of laundry. And while I always look to myself like I just rolled out of bed, all the other ladies I know seem to sparkle with hair that is done and clothes that are fashionable instead of frumpy like mine.

Well, I realized something. Even if all of that is true (but it probably isn't) I need to find joy in the moment and not let that ever looming task list ruin my happiness. The truth is, no one is perfect. Maybe my personal struggle in life is being a good housekeeper, but that doesn't mean that I'm not a good mother, wife or friend. If I want others to accept me for who I am, than I need to do that first.

Last night laughing at one of my own mistakes helped me to realize some of this. I hope that it helps some one else laugh and realize that life isn't a competition with everyone else, it's a process of personal learning.

Maybe this will make you laugh. I was doing laundry last night (why do "funny" things seem to always happen to me while doing laundry?) and when the washer was done with the load I had put in, I went to take the clothes out to put in the d...ryer. Well, when I pulled a couple things out, guess what I found? I somehow put one of Emma's used diapers in with the laundry. It was all bloated with water just sitting there with all the clothes. I laughed so hard, Jacob wanted to throw up and made sure I washed that load a second time without the diaper :)

4 comments:

Karma said...

I know for a fact you are an awesome friend. That is funny you washed a diaper, I lost Evie's Pacifier for half a week before I found it in the dryer, shows how speedy I am at laundry.

Unknown said...

Oh sweet Heather, thank you for the laugh. And you are a wonderful friend, mother, woman, wife, and all those other hats you wear.

As an example, I just fed my son funfetti cupcakes and pineapple for lunch. Really a balanced diet around here. :)

Cookie said...

Funny story, Heather! You are so cute, and believe me, you have feelings that we all go through or have gone through. You'll make it with flying colors! You go Girl!

Darrington's said...

Heather, you are a wonderful mom, with one very very cute little girl!