Monday, April 18, 2011

Burried Alive

So, you know those reality TV shows they have about the hording people? Well, I am beginning to feel like I am living that life. GROSS!!! I know that a lot of my problem is that we live in a pretty small apartment, so there just isn't a place to put everything. I know it's bad though when I haven't seen my loveseat in months. I am always embarrassed when people see my everlasting mess, and I am sick of it! I want my home to be warm and inviting. I want it to smell good. And I want the garbage to stay contained INSIDE the garbage can. I want to have pride in my home.

Now, I realize that most people I know already live this way. And I understand that the reward is in the end result. A lovely comfortable home. But people, I have missed that train. I need some extra motivation. So, I am going to make a game plan. My most favorite part? When I have completed my goal, I am having a girl party. That's right, pedicures, treats, and some girl talk, maybe even a good chick flick.

You are all invited (well as long as you're a girl that is :). But here's the catch, there won't be a party unless I actually conquer my monstrous mammoth mess. So, if you want to come to my pampering sparkle relaxation amazingly super party, you have to help me! Please keep me motivated and accountable by asking me how it's going or leaving me cheerleading messages. Or, if you are in the same boat as me (though I doubt you are) you can join me in my quest, and the party can be your reward too.

So here is my schedule

Tonight, April 18th (as soon as I am finished writing this post):
First things first, Tackle the garbage mountain. Get it out! All of it.
Tuesday April 19th:
Finish washing the dirty laundry, and put ALL of the laundry away. Like nicely, in drawers and on hangers in closets. Not in laundry baskets an the loveseat.
Reorganize bedroom closet, you know, so there is room for the laundry in there.
Arrange the storage under the bed.
Wednesday:
You knew it had to come sometime, start on those dishes! Do at least everything that has been sitting in a huge mound in the sink for who knows how long.
Arrange the cupboards in the kitchen so that you have a place to put clean dishes.
Organize entryway closet. Know what's in it and make best possible use of the space.
Thursday:
Do the rest of the dishes and put them away. Make sure the kitchen table is CLEAN and usable.
Clear off decorations on the cabinet and dust EVERYTHING! Then change out what's up there (and go for a minimalistic approach)
Hang pictures, mirrors, etc. the way you have been wanting them for who knows how long. if something is not being used, find a proper place to store it.

Friday:
If you are still alive, make sure that everything is Vacuumed. Then empty the vacuum cleaner and clean the filter.
Clean the countertops and stovetop.
Clean the kitchen floor (does anyone have a sandblaster I can borrow?)
Clean the bathroom, including the nasty vent with the lint beard.
Organize/arrange the living room to your liking.
Saturday:
Do general cleaning and clean up any missed spots, or catch up on things that may have been missed.
If you have REALLY done it, then you may plan your party. But if you haven't plan your next weeks to do list.

Here's hoping I don't die.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, you are so cute! You won't die. Hopefully. I have this battle pretty much every week at my house. Where did all this stuff come from? And where is the couch? I empathize and wish you every bit of good luck!

Heather said...

you can do it Heather!!! I'll even throw in some babysitting for you and let you borrow my steam mop if you'd like! And I'll even join you and tackle a few organizing projects I've been meaning to work on :) good luck! And if you ever need more motivation (or a small break) come on over and I'll bake you some cookies or something! PS I hope Emma is feeling better tonight!

Bridget said...

Good luck Heather! Cleaning is alway a serious work in progress for me! Just last night we were talking with Rachel how part of my job as a mother is to "nurture" and how I didn't realize until I'd heard Sister Beck's awesome talk about Mother's Who Know how a big part of nurturing was trying to keep an organized house. For me that is a big motivation to clean - I'm not just doing it for my sanity (because if things get too messy I get really, really grumpy), but I'm keeping things in order (notice I didn't say spotless!) for my kids to be happy and learn what they need to. You are awesome and you have such a sweet family - best of luck!

Matt and Kaylin said...

Oh my goodness Heather. What a schedule, you are brave to conquer so much in one week. I will have to look for you for motivation. I still have stacks of boxes in my spare room from moving. My goal has just to empty one box per week, and I have failed at that so far. This week I will try to be as awesome as you and get to work on those boxes!

Sarah said...

Oh Heather. Good luck. I think a girl party is a great motivation. I hope you make your goal so that we can party together!!! Go Heather! Yay yay yay yay!!!

Plus, I almost never clean. Since the end of the semester is coming up, it's about time for my tri-yearly cleaning fest.

Heather said...

Thanks Everyone :) I have done well so far, I just gotta keep at it!

Carmel said...

Keep at it! You go girl! I'll even come up to Logan for said party when you succeed! :D