Friday, June 11, 2010

Asparagus

Did you know that asparagus is actually a weed? Well, it's true, at least in Delta Utah it is. Shortly after Jacob and I were married we were visiting his family and I saw someone walking along the ditch-bank of a field. I asked Jacob what they were doing and he told me they were probably picking asparagus. My response was WHAT? You mean the stuff just grows along ditches all by itself? You don't have to plant it or anything? The stuff people pay upwards of $2.50 a pound for at the grocery store just grows along ditch banks without having to plant it and farmers actually consider it a weed and burn it along with all the other obnoxious weeds?

Being a lover of asparagus I found this idea very intriguing and have wanted to pick my very own off of a ditch-bank ever since. We were always just a little too late in the season to get the chance but, after 4 years of marriage I finally got my wish a couple of weeks ago :) It was hot dirty work, but it yielded some tasty rewards. Emma even came along on the adventure. I hope I get to do it again next year.

No comments: